UK Hospital Work Experience
Designed for students aged 16-19 looking to study medicine at university.
How Does It Work?
Our UK hospital work experience course is a week long immersive medical learning experience that sees students take a hands-on role in simulated emergency situations in our London based NHS hospital. Students spend 3 days in our state-of-the-art simulation suite with our NHS doctors who provide a foundation of medical knowledge and clinical skills. Students are given up to 8 different medical cases with the Medical SimMan where they must work as a team to diagnose and treat each patient. Our doctors analyse each scenario and provide feedback for students. Students gain a real insight into the role and challenges of being a doctor as well as a foundation of medical knowledge.
Students also have two days that are classroom based where our doctors focus on the university application and personal development. These sessions cover everything from medical school selection to personal statements. All students also go through a mock multiple mini interview and are provided individual feedback.
Classroom Teaching (2 days)
- Applying to medical school
- Life as a doctor and career paths
- Clinical skills such as pulses, blood pressures and suturing
- Mental health state examinations
- Medical ethics teaching
- Applying to university advice and guidance
- Q&A session with medical students and NHS doctors
- Mock multiple mini interview with feedback
- Interview advice and guidance
Hospital Work Experience (3 days)
- All training delivered by our NHS doctors and resuscitation officers
- 8 x medical simulation scenarios with different patients and cases each time
- Basic life support training
- Taking a patient history
- Assessment of acutely unwell patients
- Roles within a hospital and A&E teams
- Diagnosis and case presentation skills
- Airway management, intubation, cannulation and venipuncture
- Build up to full emergency scenario management
Weekly Course Structure
We hire private accommodation for all our students and staff. Our students share single-gender dormitory style rooms with private bathrooms. Our staff also stay at the same accommodation and we always have a female member of staff on duty at night. Breakfast and dinner are included each day.
Student Social Activities
Whilst learning is our main focus, we also want to ensure students make the most of their time in London and our team arrange some great social activities:
- Tour of London (Not your typical tour of London - expect to see some attractions you haven't heard of before)
- Trips to local restaurants
- An evening at Covent Garden
- Escape room challenge
- Friday night trip to a West End theatre show
Course Name: Project London
Duration: 1 week
Age Range: 16 - 19 years old
Placements Available: Pre-Medical
UK Placement Manager: Amy Hooper
Course Fees: 1 week - £1885 total
The payment is taken in two parts. A £290 registration fee which secures your place on the course and the balance payment is paid 90 days before your start date.
Students are required to book their own flights. Lunch and spending money are also not included.
- 15th July - 21st July 2018 (Full)
- 22nd July - 28th July 2018 (1 space remaining)
- 29th July - 4th August 2018 (Full)
- 5th August - 11th August 2018 (Full)
- 12th August - 18th August 2018
- 19th August - 25th August 2018 (Full)
- 21st October - 26th October 2018
- 28th October - 3rd November 2018
- 10th February - 16th February 2019
- 17th February - 23rd February 2019