UK Medical Experience Week Schedule
Sunday - Arrival Day
All students will arrive on the Sunday. UK based students will meet us at London Kings Cross station. All international students will need to fly into London's Heathrow Airport. The arrival flight window is between 9am-5pm on the Sunday.
Once all students have been greeted by a Medical Projects member of staff we all head over to our London base for a welcome induction and a group dinner.
Monday - Day 1
Monday morning all students will be taken to our partner hospital to start a busy week of hospital work experience. Monday is a very important day where all the students learn some of the most important roles of a doctor and their function in a hospital. All sessions are run by UK Doctors and Medical Students:
- The role of a Doctor in a UK hospital
- Career pathways for Doctors
- How to take a patient history
- GP surgery (Various cases will be presented)
- 1 x clinical examination training
Tuesday - Day 2
Tuesday has a strong emphasis on analysing the skills of a medical professional. Students take part in several simulated scenarios (guided by our UK Doctors) where they each take a role in a disciplinary team. Students will take part in:
- Simulated cardiac arrest
- Students will critically analyse each others performance in an emergency situation.
- Basic life support training
- Mental health awareness training
Wednesday - Day 3
Wednesday is interview day! An intense day where UK medical students will run sessions designed to improve interview answers and technique. A tough day that requires full concentration, but worth it!
- Medical Students' interview experiences
- Difference between MMI and Panel interviews
- Mock MMI with personal feedback
- Mock panel interview with feedback
- Medical ethics in interviews
Thursday - Day 4
Thursday is based in the hospital again with a focus on surgery. The morning starts with a short seminar around surgery as a career path. Followed by some hands on experience where students scrub in and learn suturing.
- Becoming a surgeon and the surgical career path
- Surgical hygiene protocol (Scrubing in)
- Basic suturing techniques
- ABCDE training
Friday - Day 5
Friday is the culmination of the weeks hard work. Students will be expected to be in the "Doctor Mindset". We will expect students to have a deep understanding of the role a a Doctor in various situations. The week culminates in a student-led trauma case. Challenging, but very exciting! In the evening our Medical Students will also be running a UKCAT masterclass.
Saturday/Sunday - Departure/Weekend Trip
The weekend will see some students leave and more students arrive! For students who are joining us for more than 1 week there is plenty of sightseeing and shopping to do!
Students who are leaving will depart on Saturday between 10am-3pm. For those staying here is a list of potential weekend activities:
- Hop on Hop off Tour Bus
- Buckingham Palace Tour
- Kensington Palace Tour
- London Eye Flight
- Harry Potter Walking Tour
- London Dungeon Visit
- Tower of London
- Food and Drinks Markets
- Natural History and British Museum
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben
- Explore Bond Street, Oxford Circus and Harrods
- Traditonal Afternoon Tea