About The Project
Project Transylvania is designed for students looking to gain a deeper insight into the university application process and develop their personal statement, interview answers and technique. Students complete 25 hours of hospital work experience and also attend personal development sessions run by our UK Medical Students or UK Doctors. This includes 1-on-1 time with their mentors and individual feedback.
Who Is This Project Suitable For?
This location is suitable for students aged 16-25 looking to complete a:
- Pre-medical placement
- Pre-dental placement
- Pre-nursing placement
Hospital Work Experience
• 25 hours hospital work experience per week
• Shadow doctors and/or consultants
• Witness different healthcare systems
• Attend outpatient clinics
• Mock MMI with feedback
• Mock panel interview with feedback
• Applying to university advice and guidance
• Questions and answer sessions with our medical students and doctors.
• Private accommodation
• Breakfast and dinner each day
• 24/7 DBS checked staff
• Airport transfers (for international students)
• Access to Student Dashboard
• Welcome pack and Medical Projects T-shirt
• Dedicated Personal Student Advisor
Why Join Medical Projects?
- Students who join our placements are 3 times more likely to gain a place at university.
- Boost your personal statement to increase your chances of gaining an interview.
- Boost your experience to increase the range of discussion points at interview
- Gain guaranteed 25 hours shadowing experience per week.
- Experience a range of departments to broaden your knowledge.
- Experience a different healthcare system to compare and contrast to your own healthcare system.
- Meet fellow students who share the same passion for dentistry and learning
- Supported 24/7 by our experienced Medical Projects team
Your Hospital Work Experience
Students complete 25 hours hospital work experience per week. Students shadow a local doctor or consultant in each department, who will explain cases and procedures. Groups of students don't exceed five as we want this to be a personal experience with plenty of time for you to discuss cases with the medical staff. All our mentors are experienced teachers and speak English. These are the departments available at Project Transylvania:
- General Surgery
- Intensive Care Units
If there is a specific department you wish to experience that is not on this list, please contact us.
- Dental Clinic
Project Transylvania has been specifically designed to balance hospital based work experience and teaching sessions delivered by our outstanding staff. Each evening students have personal development sessions with our trained mentors.
All students will receive the induction on Sunday evening before a busy week in the hospital and teaching sessions. Please see the course structure diagram to the left.
We run 2 mock interview workshops each week that are designed to simulate certain aspects of medical school interviews. Questions will be similar to those that you'll face in your actual interviews. Each session is concluded with some general feedback and then more detailed individual feedback. These sessions include:
- Multiple Mini Interviews
- Panel interviews
- Group feedback on interviews answers
- Individual 1-on-1 interview technique sessions
Throughout the week we run mini clinical training sessions that are designed to help students understand some basic anatomical functions. These are fun and interactive ways to learn some of the basics of medicine. These sessions include:
- The body's pulses
- Manual blood pressure training
- Cardiovascular examination
- Respiratory examination
- Abdominal examination
Facilities: The accommodation is fully equipped with all the essentials to ensure each student is comfortable during their stay, this includes: computer and wifi areas so students can keep in touch with friends and family, 24/7 security, TV with DVD player and laundry service.
Food and Drink: Breakfast and dinner are included each day. Breakfast is a a continental style breakfast with toast, cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurts. For Dinner there are various local restaurants which offer a wide range of different cuisines for you to chose from. Students with specific dietry requirements will need to let us know before you join us.
Where You'll Stay
We use our partner hostel in the centre of Brașov which is approximately a 20 minute walk from the hospital. All students share a 6 or 8 bed dorm that is reserved for Medical Projects students only, which are equipped with lockers for personal items. The hostel has a communal area where students can meet in the evening to discuss the day's cases. There is also a computer and wifi areas so students can keep in touch with friends and family. There is always a Medical Projects member of staff on-site at the accommodation
Meet Your Mentors
Our mentors are current UK Medical Students or current Doctors. These guys are there to help support you inside the hospital and also provide the interview and clinical skills sessions. Our UK medical students all have at least 2 clinical years training and have all been through the process you are about to. They are there to provide all the advice and guidance you need, so make the most and ask them as many questions as possible. If you want to find out a bit more about them, click the "Meet the Mentors" button.
1 week 2 weeks 3 weeks 4 weeks
£1200 £1700 £2200 £2700
*Please note the £290 registration fee is in addition to the above prices.
- 15th October - 21st October 2017
- 22nd October - 28th October 2017
- 11th February - 17th February 2018
- 18th February - 24th February 2018
Ready To Join Us?
Decide your travel dates and how many weeks you want to join us for.
Click apply now button and complete the online application form.
Register your £290 deposit to secure your place and dates.
Ready to join us?