About The Project
Project Kilimanjaro is designed for students looking to gain an insight into the role of a doctor and the functions of a hospital. Students complete 25 hours of hospital work experience shadowing experienced doctors and healthcare professionals. All students stay in our own Medical Projects accommodation where they can relax each evening a discuss the latest cases and their university applications with fellow students.
This location is suitable for students aged 16-25 that are looking to complete a:
- Pre-medical placement
- Pre-dental placement
- Pre-midwifery placement
- Pre-nursing placement
Hospital Work Experience
• 25 hours hospital work experience per week
• Shadow doctors and/or consultants
• Hand hygiene and scrub-in process
• Attend daily ward rounds
• Witness different healthcare systems
• Attend outpatient clinics
• Gain insight into treatment of rare diseases
• Access to online UKCAT training course• Online interview preparation course
• Private accommodation
• Breakfast and dinner each day
• 24/7 DBS checked staff
• Airport transfers (for international students)
• Access to Student Dashboard
• Welcome pack and Medical Projects T-shirt
• Dedicated Personal Student Advisor
Why Join Medical Projects?
- Students who join our placements are 3 times more likely to gain a place at university.
- Boost your personal statement to increase your chances of gaining an interview.
- Boost your experience to increase the range of discussion points at interview
- Gain guaranteed 25 hours shadowing experience per week.
- Experience a range of departments to broaden your knowledge.
- Experience a different healthcare system to compare and contrast to your own healthcare system.
- Meet fellow students who share the same passion for dentistry, medicine, nursing and learning
- Supported 24/7 by our experienced Medical Projects team
Your Hospital Work Experience
Students complete 25 hours hospital work experience per week. Students shadow a local doctor or consultant in each department, who will explain cases and procedures. Groups of students don't exceed five as we want this to be a personal experience with plenty of time for you to discuss cases with the medical staff. All our mentors are experienced teachers and speak English. These are the different departments available at Project Kilimanjaro:
- Respiratory Medicine
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Labour Ward
- Minor Theatre
- Tropical Diseases/Medicine
- HIV clinics
- Dental Clinic
The course delivers a balance of hospital based work experience and university preparation by giving you access to an online UKCAT course. All students will receive the induction on Sunday evening before a busy week in the hospital and teaching sessions. Please see the course structure diagram to the left.
Facilities: Students will typically share rooms between 4 or 5 and all rooms have en-suites with showers and western toilets. The accommodation also has an area where students can relax in the evening, we often have BBQs in the evenings where students discuss the cases of each day. There is also wifi throughout the accommodation, mosquito nets over each bed, 24/7 security, TV, Shuttle bus to city centre and laundry service.
Food and Drink: Breakfast and dinner are included each day. Breakfast is a continental style breakfast with toast, cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurts. Dinner varies each day and is a mixture of British and international dishes. Students with specific dietry requirements will need to let us know before you join us.
Where You'll stay
The accommodation at Project Kilimanjaro is around 25 minutes away from our partner hospitals. We have full dormitories in the accommodation so we have rooms exclusively for Medical Projects students.
Meet Your Mentors:
Our mentors are current UK Medical Students or current Doctors. These guys are there to help support you inside the hospital and also provide the interview and clinical skills sessions. Our UK medical students all have at least 2 clinical years training and have all been through the process you are about to. They are there to provide all the advice and guidance you need, so make the most and ask them as many questions as possible.
- 100% of past students recommend Project Kilimanjaro
1 week 2 weeks 3 weeks 4 weeks
£900 £1400 £1900 £2400
*Please note the £290 registration fee is in addition to the above prices.
- 11th February - 17th February 2018
- 18th February - 24th February 2018
- 25th March - 31st March 2018
- 1st April - 7th April 2018
- 8th April - 14th April 2018
- 15th July - 21st July 2018
- 22nd July - 28th July 2018
- 29th July - 4th August 2018
- 5th August - 11th August 2018
- 12th August - 18th August 2018
- 19th August - 25th August 2018
Ready To Join Us?
Decide your travel dates and how many weeks you want to join us for.
Click apply now button and complete the online application form.
Register your £290 deposit to secure your place and dates.
Ready to join us?