Based in Arusha, at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, we work with several hospitals to offer a range of departments and work experience opportunities. Students can spend time in the following departments:
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Labour ward
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Tropical Medicine
- Intensive Care Units
Where In Kilimanjaro?
Project Kilimanjaro takes place in the city of Arusha, Tanzania. Arusha is situated at the foot of Mount Meru, Africa's 5th highest mountain. The city is also close to the Serengeti National Park, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Lake Manyara National Park, and Mount Kilimanjaro. The altitude gives the city a pleasant climate and lush green environment.
What happens at Project Kilimanjaro?
All placements provide a balance of work experience and a range of skill developing extra-curricular activities:
- 25 hours hospital work experience per week
- 1 x Interview workshops per week
- 1 x MMI simulation with feedback
- 1 x Panel interview simulation with feedback
- 2 x Clinical training sessions per week
- Personal teaching from a UK medical student
- Personal statement review and advice
- Supervised 24/7 by DBS checked staff
- Breakfast and dinner each day
- Private accommodation for our students
- Meet and greet upon arrival airport
- Personal Student Advisor for trip preparation
How It Works
Our projects are supervised overseas hospital work experience placements. We arrange the hospital placement and also all the logistics such as accommodation, transport, food and social activities. We provide 25 hours hospital work experience per week, mock interview workshops and clinical training sessions. This is then supported 24/7 by our UK team.
International Visa Requirements:
Students who travel to our Kilimanjaro project will need likely need a tourist visa and a temporary residence permit. For British citizens and citizens from most other countries this costs US$250. We will organise the permit for you, but you will need to bring US dollars in cash with you to pay for this on your arrival.
The accommodation at Project Kilimanjaro is around 25 minutes away from our partner hospitals. We hire full dormitories in the accommodation so we have rooms exclusively for Medical Projects students. Students will typically share rooms between 4 or 5 and all rooms have en-suites with hot/cold showers and flushing western toilets. The accommodation also have area where students can relax in the evening, we often have BBQs in the evenings where students discuss the interesting cases of each day.
The accommodation is fully quipped with all the essentials to ensure each student is comfortable during their stay. Here's a list of the accommodations facilities:
- Wifi throughout the accommodation
- Mosquito nets over each bed
- 24/7 security
- TV with DVD player
- Shuttle bus to city centre
- Laundry service
Tanzania has some truly amazing scenery and wildlife that has to be seen to be believed! Students can immerse themselves in the local culture and history whilst exploring this beautiful country on our weekend trip. We plan our weekend trip to include an overnight stay in the nearby safari park and a visit to a traditional community. Here is what is included in the Project Kilimanjaro weekend trip:
- Transport to local safari park
- Overnight stay in safari lodge/tent
- Full day safari with local guide
- Visit to local community to see traditional Tanzanian village
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner (veg & non-veg meals)
- Return transport to accommodation
When Can I Travel?
- 15th October - 21st October 2017
- 22nd October - 28th October 2017
- 11th February - 17th February 2018
- 18th February - 24th February 2018
- 25th March - 31st March 2018
- 1st April - 7th April 2018
- 8th April - 14th April
- 27th May - 2nd June 2018
- 15th July - 21st July 2018
- 22nd July - 28th July 2018
- 29th July - 4th August 2018
- 5th August - 11st August 2018
- 12th August - 18th August 2018
- 19th August - 25th August 2018
We limit the number of students per week to 15 to ensure each students receives a personal placement with us.
To register for one of our projects you simply need to complete the online application form. Once complete you will be required to pay your £290 deposit to secure your place. You will then receive an email confirmation within 24 hours.