Who Completes A Pre-Medical Placement With Us?
Our Pre-Medical Placements are designed for any student applying or reapplying to medical school. Students are typically aged 16-25 years old and are wanting to pursue an advanced career in healthcare. Post-graduates and elective students are also welcome to apply.
Shadow Experienced Doctors:
On our overseas projects our Medical Projects team will introduce you to your mentor each day. Your mentor will explain each case and answer any questions you have about the case or about life as a doctor. All our student mentors are highly qualified and experienced doctors with years of experience in medicine and teaching.
Students on our Project London placement will have the unique opportunity to gain experience in a state-of-the-art UK hospital. We use a private simulation suite where our Doctors control the learning environment. It includes realistic mannequins, 3D computer graphics and video feedback that enables teams to work through emergencies together and experience as closely as possible the role and life of a Doctor.
Why Join Medical Projects?
- Students who join our placements are 3 times more likely to gain a place at university.
- Boost your personal statement to increase your chances of gaining a medical school interview.
- Gain guaranteed 25 hours hospital work experience per week.
- Experience a range of departments to broaden your medical knowledge.
- Experience a different healthcare system to compare and contrast to your own healthcare system.
- Our Overseas Work Experience Plus course also includes teaching sessions from current medical students and doctors.
UK & International Hospital Work Experience
All students who join our UK or overseas work experience courses complete 25 hours hospital work experience per week. Students shadow a local doctor or consultant in each department, who will explain cases, procedures. Students will experience ward rounds, out-patient clinics, diagnostics departments, laboratories and operating theatres. Groups of students don't exceed five as we want this to be a personal experience with plenty of time for you to discuss cases with the medical staff. All our mentors are experienced teachers and speak English. We partner with world-class hospitals around the world that offer a variety of specialist departments for students to explore. These include:
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Intensive Care Units
- Tropical Diseases/Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
All our placements are designed to develop you and your application to medical school. Where possible, students rotate around two or three departments each week gaining exposure of different areas of the patient journey through a hospital. It is very important students gain a good understanding of how a hospital works and each team members role within the hospital.
Our full-time and highly trained Medical Projects staff are experts in helping you make the most of your placement. All students are taught how to reflect on every experience in a way that develops either their personal statement, application or interview.
We have developed a set of key learning objectives that ensures each student leaves us with a well-rounded and balanced view of the role of a doctor and the processes and functions of a hospital and healthcare system to maximise your chances of gaining a place at medical school.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Develop an understanding of how a hospital works
- Develop a deep understanding of the role of a doctor
- Understand the different roles in a hospital and how they work together in a multi-disciplinary team
- Develop an understanding of how interdepartmental coordination works in the treatment of a patient
- Experience a different healthcare system and draw comparisons to the NHS or your domestic healthcare system
- Understand the pathway to becoming a doctor and the range of career options available in the future
Where Can I Complete A Pre-Medical Placement?
Meet Your Mentors
Our mentors are current UK Medical Students or Doctors. These guys are there to help support you inside the hospital and also provide the interview and clinical skills sessions. Our UK medical students all have at least 2 clinical years training and have all been through the process you are about to. They are there to provide all the advice and guidance you need, so make the most and ask them as many questions as possible.
How to apply:
Select your travel dates and how many weeks you would like to join us for.
Click apply now button and complete the online application form.
Register your £290 deposit to secure your place and dates.
Ready to join us?